• Offers adjustable shift throw
• Unique linkage clamp allows shorter throw than any competitor
• Quick and easy installation from inside the car with basic tools – no need to crawl around underneath the car
GFB offers 3 items for the Subaru Short Shifter:
• 218007 – Subaru STI 02+ 6-speed Short Shifter Basic Kit [GFB] NUMBER 4003
• 218009 – Subaru STI 02+ 6-speed Short Shifter Upgrade Kit [GFB] NUMBER 4202
• 218006 – Subaru STI 02+ 6-speed Short Shifter SuperShort KIT [GFB] NUMBER 4002
The simplest way to describe the differences is this way:
4003 (basic kit) + 4202 (upgrade kit) = 4002 (SuperShort KIT). When the 4003 and the 4202 are added together, you get exactly the same parts as you do with the 4002.
Now, as to how this affects you as a user and your choice of what to buy: The 4003 still offers shift throw adjustment and the unique installation tool that is included in the 4002. The parts not included in the 4003 however are what allows the shift throw to be reduced beyond what is normally possible by adjusting the pivot point on the stick alone. So in essence, the 4003 offers the same shift throw reduction as other shifters on the market, which is about 15-20%, similar to that of the aftermarket STi shifter, but significantly cheaper.
Add the 4202 or begin with the 4002, and the shift throw is adjustable down to about 40% – much further than you can go by just changing the stick and keeping the factory knob height.
So you as a customer can choose the cheaper option of the 4003, and fit the 4202 later if you want to go further with the throw reduction, and it only costs a very small amount more than buying the 4002 to begin with.